Friday, July 9, 2010

Dude, I'm Stuck in a Really Bad Episode of The Hills




Sometimes, living in this reality television driven, pop culture worshipping society, I really feel as though I'm stuck in a really bad episode of The Hills. An episode that I simply can't escape. It's one of the reasons why I deleted my Twitter page and rarely get on Facebook. As jacked up as it sometimes is, I tend to enjoy living in reality more than immersing myself in a perpetual state of self-congratulating fantasy.

Last night was a prime example of what I mean.

While America was going ape, literally, over Lebron James' major Knots Landing-esque decision about what team he was going to sign with, protesters in Oakland were rioting over the sentencing of Johannes Mehserle, the cop who murdered Oscar Grant (who was handcuffed) execution style, at a busy public transit station.

It's disheartening to say the least. I didn't see one major news station cover what was going down in Oakland, or have any relevant commentary about what the verdict (he received involuntary manslaughter) meant for the current state of the country, the community at large or the police's relationship with the everyday citizens they are supposedly serving and protecting. Maybe some station did, but if so I missed it.


What I did see, was Larry King, who chose to use his talk show to join the Desperate House Wives-like phenomenon and dramatically discuss where Lebron was going to go after leaving Cleveland. Nevermind the fact that the NBA has turned into the City-- starring deluded, frilly athletes, owners and commentators, with ESPN serving as a wack version of MTV----the incessant coverage of Lebron instead of actual news just goes to show how far we as a society have slipped down the rabbit hole.

It's pretty disgusting.

I saw Obama giving his perspective on the Lebron James deal, but not addressing the never-ending cycle of police brutality and terrorism in the black community.


I don't know. It's time for us to collectively get back to reality. We're like a society of 12 year-olds at this point, and it's past time to grow up.

1 comment:

bruce said...

Love the sarcasm and accuracy
www.JayonnaFab.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/jayonnaFabro