Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Leaders of the New Cool... Or Not.


So, I went to check out the Leaders of the New Cool show at Lenny's last night. I was actually excited to get a chance to check out some people that I haven't had a chance to see yet, namely the Justice League's new artist, Laws and of course, Bobby Creekwater, who is arguably the most underrated emcee this side of the Mason Dixon. I also wanted to see how some groups had grown since I hadn't seen them in a while-- namely Hollyweerd. In my mind, this show was going to be somewhat similar to the This is the A show that went down a couple of years ago. Actually, in retrospect, that show was pretty terrible too... Yelawolf and Sean Falyon saved the day. Anywhoo...

Dude, this was seriously the worst show I've been to in a minute. It seemed like the DJ couldn't get handle on the crowd (really, neither could I) and ended being kind of all over the place. The show started super hella late for some unfathomable reason, and the opening acts--who were all pretty terrible had like 5-6 song sets, while the supposed "headliner"--Bobby Creekwater-- performed only a handful of songs.

Needless to say, I drove home (around 3 a.m.) mad, got up mad and am still a little mad about it. Really, I guess I shouldn't just blast this show. Really, the things that made this event unenjoyable are reoccuring in a lot of events I go to. Here are a few tips for the future.

1. Start the how before 12 a.m. No one wants to be standing around in a club waiting for acts to go on well into the middle of the night. A 8 or 9 p.m. start time would be ideal, people. The sad thing is, there were a few A&Rs and the like at the show. Warner and Jive were both represented and even Yung Joc fell through for a second. (If the unsigned acts were even interested in being signed- but that's another story for another day). Anyways, they ended up leaving before the good people even went on because it was so damn late. Now granted, most of the industry folk that were there really wanted to check out the dude Laws, (who can rap but needs to improve his stage show). But they would've stayed for the others too had it not been retardedly late.

2. Stop putting so many acts on the bill. I don't need to see 15 artists perform before the "headliner." That shit starts sounding the same around act #3 anyway. Also, the opening acts (I can't put any of them people on blast because I don't even remember who the hell they were) should at least be relatively entertaining and should not be doing 7-song sets.

3. Put good acts on the bill. If I didn't live here, and didn't know what was going on, and had just came to this show to see what was what in Atlanta, I would've left thinking it sucked. Sad, because there's actually some talent here (Fiona Simone, Boog Brown, Nesby Phipps, Small Eyez...).

I don't know. I may not be going to any more outings like this for a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most people I know who attended the show last night enjoyed themselves. Most people who don't want to stay up late wont enter a club at 11pm. Most people showed up between 11 and 12. I'm a good friend of Laws and Justice League and know for a fact they waited on a few key industry people to come thru and talked to the promoter about holding off for them. I also saw the promoter get approached by those "industry" people who wanted to know how they could get down on the next shows.