Thursday, January 29, 2009

8Ball & MJG's "Jury Duty" Listening Session


So 8Ball & MJG had their "Jury Duty" listening session at ECHO Studios last night. I saw Alfamega in the parking lot, though he disappeared during the session (I think). Yung LA and Dro were there as well... although strangely, MJG was MIA. From the little bit that I've been around dude, I get the distinct feeling he's not overly into what the "industry" thinks about him. But I could be wrong.

Anyways, they were asking all of the cool industry folks that showed up to rate the 17 tracks they debuted-- Hung Jury (so so), Acquitted (dope), Guilty (wack). For the most part, everything was pretty so-so. I was conflicted-- mostly because I was so excited to hear Ball actually rapping for real again that it almost overpowered my decision-mkaing skills and overshadowed so-so hooks and mediocre production.

Boy, I sure do miss T-Mixx era Ball & J. Not saying that folks can't progress. I mean, In Our Lifetime is one of my favorite records from them, and Organized Noize did most of that. And really, Living Legends was not a bad album. I just feel like lately, they must've been hanging around the wrong folks-- you know, people who know that they are a pioneering southern rap group, but don't really know their history and the sound that made them. I dunno. I'm interested to see what the final Grand Hustle product is going to sound like. It seems as though the folks over there are at least remotely familiar with their history.

Anyways, it was nice to see Ball looking a lot healthier and with it. Looks like he may've lost some weight too.


2 comments:

boi-dan said...

dat dang MJG......

FireBrand said...

I'm so jealous. I'm going to slap you when I see you.

And then I'm going to run as fast as I can.