Monday, October 27, 2008

Obama is the new Elmo

So, a few weeks ago I was in Dallas interviewing Ludacris. A lot of my family lives there, so I got a chance to get up with my aunts and some of cousins. One of my cousins, Khalil is 2 years old.


The debate is on, and we're half-watching it, but mostly still just talking amongst ourselves when all of a sudden Khalil busts out "Obama!" and points. I'm a little surprised, but his mom tells me that he knows both presidential candidates. To prove it, she points to John McCain and asks Khalil to identify him. "McCain," he answered easily, practically shrugging.

Then, yesterday, my mom calls me all excited. "Guess what Seraiah just said!?" Now, no doubt, I get one of these phone calls at least twice a week. I'm the oldest in my family and I have no children. So you can imagine how long my mom had been waiting for one of her three children to pop out a grandseed. Now that said Grand-Seed is here, most of our family discussions now circle around one of her many cute 1-year antics. Kinda lame, but eh. What are you gonna do?



So, my mom proceeds to tell me that my niece was sitting on the couch playing, when all of sudden she looked up and busted out "Obama!" Mind you, she's 1 year-old. Apparently Obama was actually on the TV screen.

Dude, I know this is a historical election, but since when did BABIES start getting involved and knowing the candidates?? Really. Forget Malcolm or Martin, Obama is the new Elmo. He's ALWAYS on TV. Anyways, I just found that funny. I'm gonna hate to see what happens if God forbid, dude loses....

2 comments:

The Fly Guy said...

lol...that's pretty funny. I saw a video where Diddy had his twins talking about Obama as well. SOme pretty funny stuff. On a seerate note though, him losing would destroy the psyche of so many people finally believing in the system.

boi-dan said...

I think there is a child development psychology phrase/explanation for this. I would say its because the tots sense the importance and excitement in the room when the word Obama is mentioned, and kids pick up on things and are very impressionable......