Sunday, September 7, 2008

Do White Americans Have Sooooul?


Is it me, or does it seem like the best white artists are all from places other than America? I'm talking white artists that dabble heavily in, or just make soul/R&B/funk music.

Think about it. The Average White Band (one of my favorites) is Scottish.



George Michael (arguably one of the greatest writers of our time) is from England.



Simply Red is from England. Even Phil Collins is from London.



Then, even new school you have Adele, Duffy, Amy Winehouse-- all from the UK. Remy Shand is from Canada. Makes you wonder if America's music scene is just so limited and categorized that it impedes on the creative process. I dunno. I mean, I know we got Wild Cherry, Robin Thicke, Justin Timberlake and Michael McDonald, and Teena Marie, but after that I'm drawing a blank.

Anyways. There really wasn't much of a point to this. Just somethin' I thought about.

2 comments:

Monk said...

Dang Cinta, get outta my head. I JUST penned a post on blue-eyed soul singers and was lookin' for photos and video for it.

I love me some white soul and there's a few more Americans that I would put in that genre (or at least several of their songs).

I'd consider Hall&Oates, Fleetwood Mac, the Carpenters, and Bobby Caldwell for inclusion. "WhatYou Won't Do For Love" is one of my all-time favs and is wasn't until earlier this year when I was crafting my Blu-Eyed Soul mix CD, that a realized dude was white.

I feel you on a gang of them being from overseas though.

jacinta said...

oh yeah, can't forget hall & oats...and jon b. you know i didn't know simply red was led by a white dude until a few months ago...