Monday, September 29, 2008

The Blind Leadin the Blind


Saturday I got a chance to check out a cool exhibit at Atlantic Station- Dialogue in the Dark. Basically, it's an exhibit that tries to give you a sense of what it would be like to be blind. You get maneuvered through various rooms-- which recreate real life situations that you might face, like grocery shopping and walking across a busy street-- all in complete and utter darkness. There was a guide in the room, telling our group where to go-- what to feel for etc., but you pretty much had to completely trust that the knew what the heck they were doing-- because they couldn't see either (actually, most of the group leaders were blind themselves). Anyways, it was very cool, a little irritating/disturbing but overall a great experience.

Of course you know my analytical self couldn't help but draw some life comparisons. I mean, a lot of times these days I kinda feel like I'm navigating my way through the dark, just trying to feel my to the right direction. Not that I'm a lost soul or still stuck in an early 20s "finding myself" phase, I'm just sayin. There's a lot going on right now. My bank just got bought out. My job has been firing longtime employees left and right without any explanation. My Neon is thirsty for some 4.39 cent gas--- you get the picture.

Funny thing is, I've discovered that most folks enjoy walking around in the dark- or with their eyes closed. In some warped way, it makes them feel safe not knowing what is out there, or seeing reality. That way they don't have acknowledge and deal with the truth-- they can keep blindly following illusions. Meanwhile, they let our self-imposed "leaders" guide them-- even though they really can't see either. Dig? Not trying to be on anything deep- I'm just sayin, the great Willie D said it best-- "it's the blind leadin' the blind."

Anyways, if you get the chance- go see the exhibit.

FYI.... Johnson & Jonson is jelly jammin.

1 comment:

Monk said...

That sounds like a very cool exhibit to check out.

I will agree with you, most scenarios we look at in life is a case of the blind leading the blind. Love how you made the comparison.