Friday, January 11, 2008

The Great Depression



Dude, tell me we ain't in the midst of a damn depression. I mean, yeah, I've been knowing the economy is jacked-- but my mouth literally dropped open when my buddy, Encylopeezia Brown, shot me this article from CrossRoads News, the paper that serves DeKalb County:

"More than 4,000 job hunters showed up Monday seeking 400 positions at the new Memorial Drive Wal-Mart Supercenter that is opening in March..."

Like... read that again. 4,000 PEOPLE. 300 people were in the line when it opened at 6 a.m. Then they wonder why athletes are around here getting carjacked and whatnot. I'm damn near afraid to ride around in Peter Parker (that's my 2002 Dodge Neon with the bum axle and white paint mark on the side from where I accidentally scraped against a pole at the gas station).

I'm telling you, there might not be folks lined up in soup lines like in Cinderella Man, but trust me, they're outside on the curb, standing near shopping complexes, at bus stops and outside of other businesses all day, trying to hustle up some work.


Last week, I saw of group of men on the corner around lunchtime, waiting to do odd jobs suddenly run over and swarm this car. Kinda scared me at first, I thought that maybe they were about to jack dude for his well-driven Acura. Turns out the guy was some promoter and wanted someone to tag the lot with his flyers. You shoulda seen the look on the other men's faces-- the ones that didn't get picked. Made my stomach hurt.

Don't let the smiling faces on MTV fool you. Shit is sick out here.


No comments: